Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Life in Oregon, part 3


On Saturday we went to the Oregon state fair in Salem to reconnect with and celebrate daddy's family's small-town roots. We saw cows and horses and geese, chickens and chicks, some of them just coming out of their eggs! I asked one of them which came first but it didn't have much to say.





My favorite was probably the sheep. I saw part of the competition: They lined a bunch up in a row, rear ends out, and a judge walked down the line and chose the winner. I guess they don't much care how they look from the front.




Before we left we had a proper family portrait. You can't imagine how hot it was walking around the fair grounds in that dress and hat!





The next morning we went to Saturday market in downtown Portland. A nice man made me a flower, and I straightaway took it to Skidmore fountain to give it a drink.





At the market we met up with auntie Amelia and uncle Alex, friends of mommy's and daddy's from back home. They drove all the way from Seattle to see me! (And I suppose mommy and daddy too.)




We went to the Chinese garden for a meditative walk among the lotus blossoms,





and then to the zoo to see daddy's old friends Jafar and Jayotta, Jayotta's family, and Jafar's friend Sheila.






Daddy has known Jafar and Jayotta since he was seven years old. That's really old! Daddy says someday I will be seven, but it seems like two or three lifetimes away.





As it was (uncharacteristically) sunny for Portland, the whole day would have been a complete bust without my new sunglasses, which I wear now everywhere I go.





I got the royal treatment during my west-coast tour, partly owing to the able ministrations of my personal attendants, guardians, and go-getters Josie and Sophie. Thanks cuzzes!!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was so fun seeing you Layla! Have a good rest of your visit in the U.S. and a safe trip home!

Love,
Auntie Amelia and Uncle Alex