The last week has been a whirlwind of activity as I completed the western leg of my grand tour and surveyed my various North American dominions.
In Walla Walla I met my great aunt Jean. Daddy told me that Aunt Jean is a great hero of our family. Around thirty years ago she had a stroke that left the right side of her body paralyzed and also left her unable to speak more than a few words. But none of that affected her wonderful, positive spirit -- or her ability to make beautiful needlepoints, of which I am now the proud possessor of one! -- and her life is an inspiration to all of us.

In Richland I met my great grandma, and my great aunt Anita and uncle Jerry, who just returned from an African safari! (I have since fired my photographer for forgetting to take a photo of great grandma.)

On the way back we stopped at a scenic point in the Columbia Gorge where a full-scale replica of Stonehenge had been built as a monument to fallen soldiers of the First World War.



Near the monument was the Maryhill museum, which has been called the most remote major art museum in America. It was dedicated by fellow royal, Queen Marie of Rumania, who was also the first Baha'i monarch (I believe I am either the third or the fourth). Lots of her majesty's personal effects, letters, and furniture were on display inside, including this beautiful signed portrait:

Yet again, however, I was denied access to a potentially mind-expanding cultural experience. So I moped around the grounds with grandma and saw the peacocks.



Our last stop on the road home was Multnomah falls on the western edge of the Columbia Gorge. Daddy noted with pride that this marvel of nature is the second highest non-seasonal waterfall in the contiguous United States. Somehow that always makes mommy laugh.

No comments:
Post a Comment